Saturday, July 20, 2013

THIS IS PHI BULANI


www.outofthenorm.biz and www.phibulani.com 
Shares Some Summer 


Summer Activities: Swimming, I'm working on my speed strokes, front crawl is improving, I haven't timed my self yet, and the egg beater is a lifesaver kick that you gotta work. 

Summer Foods: Well no surprise here, anything off the grill, I've been experimenting with the paleo diet as well as gluten free meals... grilled asparagus and fennel is a nice combo on the veggie front.

Summer reading list:  Well among a host of plays and scripts that we're considering producing, I'm enjoying Bruce Lee, Artist of Life; it's an incredibly fresh look into Bruce's intensely passionate and soulful pursuit of his own humanity.  His honesty is contagious, it leaps off the page, and his poetry is viscerally stirring.  It's 40 years since his passing, and this collection of personal notes and reflections, his poetry and translations of poets he admired is simply stunning, it certainly adds to his myth and mystique, all the while stripping away the unessentials... it really feels like you are visiting with an old friend... a very wise old friend. Inspiring... it wakes up your brain.

Comics and Graphic Novels: Absolute Justice has some stunning artwork by Alex Ross, man his painterly skills, can't get enough them, and I'll revisit anything by Kirby. 

Summer exercises: I like to change it up quite a bit in the summertime, take on different machines, and movements, for example I do a 3 Tier Cable crossovers flyes on a Yoga Ball, and support that with the movement opposite to the muscles doing the work in that exercise... meaning the antagonists, so you switch hands on the D rings, and do 3 delt sets off the yoga ball position... chins are also a lot easier after wards.  But you know I'll also try something out of like a Muscle and Fitness article, Henry Cavill's routine for example, as it was explained in the July issue is pretty interesting and gives you a solid over all work out, but again, there are also movements in the six exercise barbell complex that don't suit my physiology, so I substitute.  I mean it has to feel right, no grinding or catching.
Bruce Lee's exercise routine as it was published in the March Muscle and Fitness, also has a number straight forward gems in it, man, talk about strength and flexibility training. "Be like water my friend"

Dvd Rentals/ Series:  Well, I gotta tell ya I didn't think I'd like it, but Breaking Bad has been a blast, what a phenomenal storyline and script... it's mythic, with these character arcs that are just priceless...
I think that's why I like it.  Hard to believe they're entering the final season.

Theatre:  4th Line Theatre in Millbrook is always worth the trek, looking forward to taking in The Real McCoy by Andrew Moodie, directed by Kim Blackwell, and starring Beau Dixon in the lead role, gonna be good.

Links for subjects mentioned in this article:
Swimming: www.lifesavingsociety.com
Bruce Lee www.brucelee.com
Graphic Novels: www.dccomics.com/graphic-novels/absolute-justice
Jack Kirby: www.kirbymuseum.org
Muscle and Fitness: www.muscleandfitness.com
Breaking Bad: www.amctv.com/shows/breaking-bad
4th Line Theatre www.4thlinetheatre.on.ca


Enjoy thy summer- Peace out- 
Phi Bulani

No comments: